A boat built specifically for whale watching.
The West Coast's finest whale watching vessel is now departing from the homeport of the San Juan Islands.
The Island Explorer 5 is the most state-of-the-art vessel on the entire west coast, boasting impressive speed and high-tech electronics.
The height above the water gives you a much better vantage point. (The legal viewing distance applies the same to all vessels — lower profile boats cannot get you any closer, so they just can’t see as well as you will from the Island Explorer.) A state-of-the-art audio/visual system allows our naturalist to turn the boat into a floating class room. The Island Explorer is safe (it exceeds all US Coast Guard requirements for the area), fast (capable of speeds of 25+ knots, which gives us the range to guarantee whales), and comfortable for all of our guests.
- Outside rail viewing space on one side of the boat for all guests
- Indoor heated seating for all passengers
- Three viewing decks for the best possible vantage point over the water
- Best galley menu of any tour boat in the area – fresh and changing with the seasons
- High-speed catamaran with speeds capable of 25+ knots
- AED defibrillator onboard with highly trained and qualified staff/crew
Sample Galley Menu:
- Surfer Burritos
- Fresh Wraps
- Nathan’s Hot Dogs
- Ivar's Clam Chowder
- Fountain Soda
- Beer and Wine
- Souvenir Mug with Unlimited Beverages
See our other incredible whale watching vessels.
The Island Explorer vessels all look very similar. Both the IE4 and IE5 have full walk-around lower decks, huge upper decks and great sound systems. These designs separate a whale watching boat from a repurposed fishing boat or crew boat. Our vessels are the only boats in the area with outside rail viewing space on either side of the boat for all guests. They are also very stable, making them fantastic photography platforms. Island Explorer vessels are safe, fast, and comfortable.