See up to 5 Types of Whales from 3 Departure Locations!
Guaranteed whales on every single tour.
Island Adventures was one of the first companies to guarantee whales in the San Juan Islands. We are the leaders in guaranteeing whales – in 2017, we saw whales on 571 of 603 tours. The guarantee isn't a stand-by pass, it's a free ticket for life until you see whales in the wild.
Whale Guarantee – Every Tour
If you do not see a whale (orca, minke, gray, or humpback) with us you can come again for FREE, for life, on any tour until you do. This is not a gimmick — it is a passion to show our guests whales. Notice there is no fine print and this is not a stand-by pass. Just give us a call, and your next tour is on us. It’s that simple.
- Species Covered: Resident Orca, Transient Orca, Humpback, Minke, and/or Gray Whales
- Date Range: Year-Round
- Sighting Success Rate: Over 97% since 1996. Our Whale Report shows a detailed account from every tour. We rarely miss!
- What happens if I don't see a whale? You get to come back for free, for life, from any of our departure locations until you see a whale.
- Will I get my money back? Our guarantee is to show you a whale. If you're interested in a money-back guarantee, check out our Five Day Money-Back Orca Guarantee.
We also offer two different orca whale guarantees.
Island Adventures is the only company in Washington (even the entire west coast) to offer an orca whale guarantee. In fact, we're confident that you'll see an orca in our three or five day orca guarantees. If not, you can ride for free (for life) until you see orca whales! Click below to see our orca guarantees:
3 Day Orca Guarantee
May - October
If you book three days in a month from Anacortes or Port Angeles and do not see orca whales, you can come again for free (for life) until you see an orca whale. Island Adventures is the only company to guarantee orcas if you book three tour days! If you see orcas on your first trip out and want to cancel your remaining reservations, we will do that for you at no charge — no questions asked. You must enter “3 day orca guarantee” into the notes field at the time you make your three reservations. You must also book and pay for all three of your tours at the same time in order to qualify for this guarantee.
5 Day Money-Back Orca Guarantee
May - October
If you book five days in a month from Anacortes or Port Angeles and do not see orca whales, we will give you your money back for all of your tours in full and you can ride again for free (for life) until you see an orca whale. If you see orcas on any of your five booked tours, you may cancel the remaining of your tours (if you wish) at no charge. You must enter “5 day orca guarantee” into the notes field at the time you make your five reservations. You must also book and pay for all of five of your tours at the same time in order to qualify for this guarantee.
At Island Adventures, we are serious about finding whales.
This is a challenge every day because the whales never stop moving! Orcas, humpbacks, gray whales, and minke whales can travel over 100 miles in a 24 hour period. We use many different resources (cooperatively working together) to help in the search every morning. Over the past 20 years, our spotting network has evolved into the most sophisticated spotting network on the entire west coast — strategically placed land-based spotters using spotting scopes, many other whale watch vessels with a private encrypted radio system, exclusive industry based online sighting network, researchers, dive boats, early morning fishermen, water taxis, tug boats, and ferry boats. If the whales are in the area, we know it.
We understand our guests’ passion to see whales in the wild. The waters surrounding Anacortes and Port Angeles are in the core whale watching zone. Every day is different and no two tours are the same — that’s why we’ve developed three different guarantee options.
By offering multi-day orca guarantees, we’re not trying to sell you more tickets or force you to go multiple days. We just want to maximize your chances to experience orca whales in the wild, which is a life-long dream for so many of our guests. If you see orca whales on one of your tours, you can cancel any remaining tours at no charge — no questions asked. We also want to set reasonable expectations that this is wildlife in the wild, and we have no control what the whales do or where the whales go each day. What we can give you is the highest possible chance to see whales in the wild due to our vessel speed, location, and tour length. No company sees orcas more than Island Adventures — the proof is in our whale report.
Whale Sighting Records
Our 97% success rate speaks for itself. Check out what we've been seeing lately with our daily Whale Report.
- 2019: 532 of 540 tours – 98.5%
- 2018: 587 of 600 tours – 98.4%
- 2017: 571 of 603 tours – 94.7%
- 2016: 515 of 525 tours – 98.1%
- 2015: 429 of 433 tours – 99.1%
- 2014: 363 of 375 tours – 96.8%
- 2013: 260 of 266 tours – 97.7%
- 2012: 212 of 225 tours – 94.2%
- 2011: 262 of 266 tours – 98.5%
- 2010: 477 of 488 tours – 97.7%
- 2009: 239 of 248 tours – 96.4%
- 2008: 258 of 264 tours – 97.7%
- 2007: 244 of 256 tours – 95.3%
- 2006: 479 of 505 tours – 94.9%
- 2005: 269 of 274 tours – 98.2%
- 2004: 205 of 210 tours – 97.6%
- 2003: 221 of 230 tours – 96.1%
- 2002: 193 of 198 tours – 97.5%