Dear Island Adventures Friends and Family,
We first want to take this opportunity to thank you so much for the outpouring of love and support we’ve received over the last few months. We would be nowhere without our valued guests, and your words of encouragement have helped keep us going through these difficult times.
The 2020 season has been one that nobody could have anticipated. After one of the best starts in company history, we were deeply saddened that after just eight tours, COVID-19 brought our operations to a grinding halt. Throughout this precautionary closure period, however, we’ve been sure to keep our gift shops, vessels, and hard-working crew in “ship shape”, ready for the day we can once again offer our educational wildlife tours in the Salish Sea. After more than two months off the water, we are happy to say that day is finally approaching!
Washington is currently moving forward with their phased plan of reopening the state. While specific details are still emerging, we are excited to say that we expect to reopen our gift shops and resume whale-watching tours in June from both Anacortes and Port Angeles. We have been working hard to develop guidelines that will prioritize the safety of our guests and our crew. Some upcoming changes will include operating with a limited capacity, implementing additional sanitization measures in our stores and on our vessels, and modifying our boarding procedures. For a full list of steps Island Adventures will be taking to maximize crew and passenger safety in 2020, please see our detailed information below.
Once we receive an official start date, we’ll be sending an email newsletter and updating our website with all the details. Reservation availability will be limited, so be sure to keep an eye on your inbox and secure your spots in advance!
If you have any questions, please feel free to reach us via email at email@example.com or by phone Monday-Friday at (360) 293-2428.
We thank you again for your support and can’t wait to see you on the water!
--Island Adventures Staff
COVID-19 Tour Information
Last updated May 20, 2020
As we move forward in these uncertain times, Island Adventures remains committed to prioritizing the safety of our valued guests and crew members. While we look forward to resuming our educational wildlife tours and sharing the beauty of Washington with visitors, we are implementing some changes for tours in 2020.
The following procedures were thoughtfully crafted incorporating recommendations from the Passenger Vessel Association (PVA), Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and Washington state health officials.
- Guests are strongly encouraged to bring a cloth mask and any other personal protective equipment (PPE) that makes them feel comfortable.
- Passengers with existing reservations that feel unwell, who are considered high-risk (65 years of age and older or with underlying medical conditions), or who aren’t quite ready to join us yet on a trip can reschedule for a later date without penalty. We have a very flexible cancellation policy and are happy to work with all guests impacted by changes related to COVID-19.
- Guests that join us on a tour must agree to follow the directions of Island Adventures crew members and be respectful of other visitors and their personal space.
- Due to limited capacity requirements, advanced tour reservations are required.
- Guests can reserve a tour by phone at 1-800-465-4604 or online at www.orcawhales.com using our tour calendar.
- In order to make a reservation, guests must acknowledge understanding of our whale guarantee, cancellation policy, and new COVID-19 requirements.
- All reservations are conveniently confirmed with an email - no need for paper tickets!
- Guests can proceed directly to their boarding location and do not need to visit the gift shop to check in.
- Detailed parking instructions are included in each guest’s confirmation email.
- Guests need only their last name to board. Please do not present your confirmation emails, as they will not be collected.
- Guests may board the vessel at any time between their scheduled boarding time and departure time. The safety briefing will occur once all guests have boarded and taken their seats instead of on the dock.
- If more than one group is waiting to board, we ask that guests maintain 6 feet of distance from the parties in front of or behind them.
- Hand sanitizer is available for guests as they board the vessel.
- Each family group will be given a designated seating area that is separated from other groups by at least 6 feet to ensure social distancing. A crew member can help find the spot that is best for your group’s needs.
- Our vessels are spacious with multiple viewing decks and both indoor and open-air seating options. We ask that guests be mindful of maintaining social distancing as they move around the boat throughout the tour.
- Hand sanitizer is available near the cafe area of each vessel and soap and running water as well as hand sanitizer is available in our restrooms. We ask for our guests’ cooperation in making sure they wash and sanitize their hands regularly throughout the tour.
- Due to concerns about COVID-19 transmission, we are temporarily suspending our reusable souvenir mug promotion and are not able to refill your personal water bottles or mugs.
- We are currently unable to issue binoculars for guests to borrow. Please feel free to bring your own.
- Crew members will sanitize frequently used surfaces, such as door handles, railings, countertops, and armrests, regularly throughout the tour.
- Food and beverages will be available for purchase during your tour and we are following all Washington health guidelines for dine-in restaurants. You’re welcome to bring your own food and non-alcoholic beverages aboard as well.
- All on-board purchases are cash-free. We accept all major credit and debit cards.
This is an ever-changing situation. Island Adventures remains committed to adjusting our safety procedures as new information becomes available. We thank you in advance for your cooperation and understanding and look forward to seeing you on the water!